2/22/09

A Million Little Pieces of shit: James Frey, I want my money back


The worst book I've read is A Million Little Pieces. I understand that James Frey isn't known for being a gifted author, and rather is known for his inspiring story, but the book has finagled its way (or rather, Frey and his publicists have finagled the book into) the realm of literature. I will now pan this piece of literature. Whole sections of this book slipped by for me, completely under my radar, which is beyond non-gifted writing and well into terrible. One example of the terribleness is Frey's ability to cram a crazy amount of cliched imagery into fewer pages than you'd believe. Boo. Sinful.

I don't care whether every word was true (in fact maybe a few more Frey-style "truths" would have made the book more readable), or whether he made Oprah angry... I just wish publishers, editors and consumers would maintain a little integrity. Literature remains a decently pristine art form, but only just, thanks to the encroachment of movies adapted into novels, celebrities-turned-authors (Paris), and Stephen King's recent shenanigans. Clearly the art of lit is already in danger, so I say to you, James Frey, that there's no room for you in my dream.

As realityTV culture maintains its death-grip on the world, it proves that a staggering majority of North Americans can be entertained by just about any train-wreck thrust before them. As long as it's a train-wreck, and as long as it's "reality," it's going to make somebody millions. Frey's memoir is a good example of the willingness of the masses to find entertainment in the train-wrecks of other's lives. Before Frey, I hadn't noticed the spread of this reality franchise into literature, but now it's clear.

There's no art to his novel, and no indicator of talent. His book didn't read as though he'd even reviewed his work one time after he'd finished typing it up. It was just a big pile of money-making quote-ables and other such nonsense that his publishers probably told him the public would lap up. Sadly, it was lapped up pretty widely. I bought copy. I wish I hadn't. I'll think about selling it.

3 comments:

  1. This is BrainFlakes, alias Charlie, and I couldn't agree with you more about this book.

    My background is recovered alcoholic (20+ years) and a degree in Chemical Dependency--I have been on both sides of inpatient treatment centers.

    I read this book almost as soon as it was published and I strongly suspected Frey was full of crap. The treatment center he wrote about is Hazelden in Center City, MN, and his B.S. would have gotten him kicked out in 10 seconds.

    But, like everyone else, I assumed he was being truthful. Nowadays, untruths and plagiarism are rampant, and no one seems to give a damn.

    An excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to read about opinions that are strongly against this book and the reasons for disliking it. I know that many people including myself think the reason why so many copies were sold was because he indeed does have talent and knows how to keep his story unpredictable. Even though I read it after hearing that a lot of it wasn't based on his actual experiences, I thought it was great fiction. I enjoyed his writing style, maybe partly because it was different while still telling a story and maintaining the moods and emotions that made me want to keep reading. I have read many books and many fall into a category between absolute shit and awesomeness and I found this one to be in the latter. A couple of books (including "Lolita" and "Treasure Island") which are considered classics I found to be unreadable trash. To each his/her own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right - to each their own! It's interesting that you mention how Frey kept you reading, because while I obviously wasn't a fan of this book, I must admit the pages were turning themselves. Maybe this is a merit I hadn't thought of yet and deserves more exploration.

    It's also funny that you mention Lolita, because it's one of my absolute favorites, honestly.

    So thanks very much for your comment. It's appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?